- Note: I just realized that the official build is missing a script that bootstraps the dynamic partition. For now, please sideload this unofficial build first, and then sideload the official one. This will ensure the dynamic partition metadata is created correctly.
- Initial android 13 release. Counting from android Oreo, this marks the 6th major android version polaris has been through. Let’s see how long I can keep it alive :)
- PE recovery is REQUIRED
- DO NOT use any other recovery
- Partition scheme has been switched to retrofit dynamic partitioning because polaris is running out of system partition space. No actual re-partition is involved. Instead, the physical system and vendor partition is mapped together to form a logical “super” partition. The size of super partition equals the sum of the physical system and vendor partitions. After that, logical system and vendor partitions are created on top of this super partition. In this way, we are essentially redistributing space between the physical system and vendor partition to accommodate for the increase in size of system libraries and prebuilt apps.
- The firmware is included with a different keymaster.img from perseus. DO NOT flash your own firmware.
- To switch to other ROMs, format data in PE recovery first, and then install another recovery. You may need to re-flash the required firmware, if the ROM you are going to flash does not include one.
- You cannot upgrade from android 12 builds. Formatting data is required.
PE recovery flash guide
- Download PE recovery from the official PE website
- Boot your phone into fastboot mode. You can either
- hold power + volume down button
adb reboot bootloader
- or use the
Reboot to bootloaderoption in TWRP/OrangeFox
- Connect your phone to a computer
fastboot flash recovery pe_recovery_file_name.imgin your cmd/powershell/terminal
- Hold power + volume up to boot into recovery
PE 13 flash guide
- Boot into PE recovery
Factory reset" --> "Format data/factory reset. You phone should say that /data, /cache, and /metadata have been formatted.
- Go back to main menu and select “Apply update” –> “Apply from ADB”
- Connect your phone to a computer
adb sideload pe_rom_file_name.zipin your cmd/powershell/terminal and wait until it finishes. It is normal if you see “Failed to find payload_properties.txt” error. Ignore it.
- Reboot to system
Device Specific Changes
- Etude kernel: Op.13 No.1
- dropped system and vendor fstab entries from dts because they are moved to ramdisk fstab for dynamic partitioning.
- Linux 4.9.327
- DO NOT use another kernel. Just don’t.
- Switched to retrofit dynamic partitioning
- Mount /metadata during first stage init
- Pre-optimized SystemUI for speed
- Adapted to the new AOSP BT stack and added several fixes
- Properly enabled thermal pid feature 1.0 for Pixel thermal HAL
- Upstreamed Pixel power HAL to the latest android 13 tag
- Updated DPM, IMS, RIL, and WFD system blobs from
- Added a shim to fix an ABI change in libpiex for camera blobs
- Switched rounded corner overlay to vector drawable because Google broke the plain radius-based overlay
- Other misc fixes for android 13
ROM Side Changes
- Initial BETA release for Pixel Experience 13. There may be minor issues, and we are working hard fixing them.
- Qualcomm’s WiFi Display (WFD) works fine. However, if you have a saved WFD connection, you may see the screen cast logo appear in statusbar after a reboot. Just press disconnect from the screen cast QS tile if that happens. I suspect it is a glitch in the early version of QSSI 13 WFD blobs that we are using.
Please report issues to jjpprrrr.